GRADE 1 / YEAR 2 HUMANITIES COURSE SYLLABUS 2019-2020
Toys and Games Over Time
- Look at how toys have changed throughout the years.
- Gain an understanding of how toys have changed since our parents and grand-parents were children.
- Gain an understanding of chronological order.
- Compare/contrast the toys from different time periods.
How We Learn About the World
- Think about how we discover and find out information.
- Use our senses to describe our local environment.
- Develop our knowledge of our location.
- Create a map of our location.
An Island Home
- Look at an island close to us.
- Discover what transport they use.
- Compare and contrast the island with our location.
- Discover key features of an island.
Life of a Significant Person
- Look at the life of a significant person.
- Research how they have impacted us today.
- Create a time line of their life.
- Compare two significant people and their impact on society.
Going to the Seaside
- Understand the physical features of the coast, e.g. cliff, sea.
- Look at how the water the reaches the sea.
- Understand how we can take care of the sea and the creatures inside it.
Air and Space Travel
- Discover how air and space travel began.
- Where it first took place.
- What it was first used for.
- How it has developed.
The Wider World
- Name and locate the 7 continents and 5 oceans.
- Use simple compass directions to describe the placement of the different countries.
Passport to the World
- Study countries in each continent and look at their traditions and culture.
- Compare and contract different countries.
- Begin to locate different countries on the world map.
Oxford International Primary Geography 2
Oxford International Primary Geography Workbook 2
Oxford International Primary History 2
Oxford International Primary History Workbook 2
Assessments: Breakdown of 100% mark
The final grade for the course will be calculated based on:
Multiple forms of assessments, both formal and informal, will be used to gain knowledge about a student’s level of understanding. Assessments will be in the form of End of Unit Evaluations, End of Unit Project, Formal Assessment. All formal test dates will be posted on the communicator.