Kg1/ FS2 EXPRESSIVE ARTS AND DESIGN COURSE SYLLABUS 2020-2021
Expressive Arts and Design comes under the prime area of the Early Years Foundation Stage. The EAD syllabus at GEMS Wesgreen International Primary School aims to support students to develop children’s imagination, creativity and their ability to use media and materials. Children do this in range of ways including singing songs and making music, dancing, playing with colours, textures and design.
The aims of all subjects state what a teacher may expect to teach and what a student may expect to experience and learn. These aims suggest how the student may be changed by the learning experience.
The aims of the EAD Syllabus are to encourage and enable students to:
- Create self- portraits and family members
- Cutting and sticking
- Exploring colour
- Being creative through arts and media
- Acting out different roles using imagination
- Construct with a purpose in mind, using a variety of resources.
- Uses simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately.
- Select appropriate resources and adapts work where necessary.
- Select tools and techniques needed to shape, assemble and join materials they are using
- Play alongside other children who are engaged in the same theme
- Play cooperatively as part of a group to develop and act out a narrative
- Use a variety of media and materials to create
- Adapt work where necessary
There are objectives that are covered and built upon throughout the year during daily interactions in the classroom and when accessing the continuous provision.
Exploring and using media and materials
- Begins to build a repertoire of songs and dances
- Explores the different sounds of instruments
- Explores what happens when they mix colours
- Experiments to create different textures
- Understands that different media can be combined to create new effects
- Manipulates materials to achieve a planned effect
- Constructs with a purpose in mind, using a variety of resources
- Uses simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately
- Selects appropriate resources and adapts work where necessary
- Selects tools and techniques needed to shape, assemble and join materials they are using
- Children sing songs, make music and dance, and experiment with ways of changing them
- They safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- Create simple representations of events, people and objects
- Initiates new combinations of movement and gesture in order to express and respond to feelings, ideas and experiences. • Chooses particular colours to use for a purpose
- Introduces a storyline or narrative into their play
- Plays alongside other children who are engaged in the same theme
- Plays cooperatively as part of a group to develop and act out a narrative
- Children use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes
- They represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role play and stories
Formative: Throughout the units, the children will be observed daily during their focus and continuous provision activities. The observations will help inform next steps and planning.
Summative: At the end of each term we complete internal and standardized tests. This allows us to measure the students’ progress throughout the term and year. At the end of the academic year, the students complete the EYFS profile.